Tuesday, February 21, 2012

200 footer


Over the weekend I got to visit my little sister in St. George. It was the best weekend ever! I’ve missed this girl so much! So getting to spend every second with her for the last 3 days is exactly what I needed. The first day I was down there Amy had to work, so I tagged along. Doesn’t sound like much fun right? WRONG! She works as an outdoor recreation guide. (Lucky duck I wish I could have a job like that) so tagging along to her work was SO much fun. Guess what I got to do? Rappel!  I’ve never been! I’ve been rock climbing but never rappelling!  I was so excited! We did some beginner ones at first I rocked it and was feeling like a pro until she showed me what cliff we really came out to do. This sucker has a 200 foot drop… I know that doesn’t sound like that much but believe me this thing was terrifying (especially for me and my fear of heights). I can handle 60-80 footer because if you fall you’ll probably just break a leg, but if you fell off this one you would be dead on impact. I was mortified. I watched several of her friends go down it, some went down face first (no joke) some jumped off the cliff only to catch themselves 20 feet above the ground others stopped mid-way through the rappel and swung on the rope. I would have felt like the biggest baby in the world if didn’t go. So I did. But I made Amy go with me haha. She was right by the side the entire way down.  We didn’t have anybody to belay us so if something would have gone wrong we would have plummeted to our deaths. I didn’t wear gloves so my hands were on fire about half way down and it was hard to hold on to the rope. But I made it. Thank goodness! And it was a blast! I would love to do this kind of thing more often! I just need to find a buddy that enjoys it as much as I do, because there is no way I would ever get Sam to do it with me (I’ve tried several times).

My sister is amazing. We spend every night in our twin beds talking until all hours of the night; it was just like old times. I so wish I could be more like her!  She always lives life to the fullest and is ALWAYS happy. Seeing her and how happy she is down there made me wish I wouldn’t have been in such a hurry to grow up. I was engaged at her age. Crazy huh? I was just a baby and still am! I wish I would have taken a second to enjoy my college years and high school years for that matter! I’ve always rushed through life. I’ve never really stopped to just breathe and have fun it seems like. But I’m happy where I ended up! It’s not too late to have fun right? To be adventurous? I hope not.

I didn’t want to leave St. George which is weird. I’m normally a home body I get home sick after an hour or two of being out of town. I LOVED every second with Amy and I plan to go down so much more often from here on out. But at the same time I was excited to come back and see my little familyJ. This was literally the best weekend ever! It was such an eye opening experience for me.

p.s. I will have pictures of amy and i going off the cliff i just haven't gotten them yet! and this picture doesn't do the the rappell justice, this is not the entire thing! the picture only shows a little over half of it.

1 comment:

chloé said...

this sounds awesome sarah! i would have been so scared but i bet it was amazing! sam needs to toughen up!!